Saturday 10 September 2016

My English Learning Journey


The English Language was the weakest subject since primary school. As there was little or no exposure because I grew up in a mandarin and dialect speaking environment. I started learning English when I was in kindergarten because it was a mandatory subject in school. With other subjects to focus on like math and science, I did not realize the importance of English and was always inattentive in class, which leads me to struggle with the subject throughout my primary and secondary education.

However, things started to change when I was introduce to English comedy and thriller tv series. My vocabulary started to expand with the amount of movies and tv series I watched. In return, there was a slight improvement in my English pronunciation which helps me to speak more comfortably and confidently to my friends in school. There were also general education and communication modules when I was in polytechnic which allows me to improve my communication and presentation skills.

Although there are improvements in my English language, sometimes I still have issue trying to convey my ideas to my classmates during group project. This is due to constant usage of singlish with my friends. I also find it difficult to speak in proper English and I always have to take some time to think of proper words to use before I can reply.

All in all, able to communicate in proper English in our daily lives is important especially in a multi-racial country like Singapore. I have learnt that in order to be proficient in English, I have to speak in proper English and also seek for advice from friends who are good at it.

[ Commented on Fira's English language journey ] 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Edmund!

    After reading your post about your English Language Journey, I could not believe that English was your weakest subject in school as your command for the language is pretty good! And I definitely understand how you are able to improve your English through watching comedies and thrillers shows on TV as it is the same for me. I believe that by watching shows or listening to songs on what we love can really help us improve on our language skills.

    However, I realise that there are some minor grammatical and sentence structure errors in your writing such as:

    1. "The English Language was the weakest subject..." - English has been my weakest subject....

    2. "As there was little or no exposure because......" - As there was little to zero exposure.....

    3. "...I still have issue trying to convey my ideas..." - ...I still have issues/problems in conveying my ideas...

    All in all, I really like how you convey your feelings about the English language in this blog post and that in time, your language skills will improve and would not cause you anymore issues.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the constructive input.

      will look into the improvements that you have suggested!

      Delete
  2. Hi Edmund,

    I feel that your reflective writing is quite well written as it is concise and clear. You did state the challenges you faced and how you felt about it. However, there are some areas where you did not described in details. For example,"which leads me to struggle with the subject throughout my primary and secondary education." You could have described on how you have struggled with the subject and what did you do about it. I also realised that you have some grammatical errors such as "when I was introduce".. - It should be "when I was introduced".
    Overall, it was quite well done. Enjoy your English learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greatly appreciated your comment,

      Will look into the improvement you have suggested!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Edmund, for the effort with this self critical reflection. It's very interesting that your negative view of English evolved thanks in part to the TV programs that you enjoyed.

    You've gotten some good feedback on your post from classmates. I look forward to seeing how you might respond to that via revisions.

    ReplyDelete